I remember being 14 and looking at the outdoor jobs in North Wales (in one of the climbing magazines) and not having a clue how to enter the industry and frustrated by lack of career advice.
I’ve now been working in the outdoors for 12 years, but playing for over 30. I can be found doing just about anything……from mountain biking to hill walking to mine exploration (newly discovered area for more adventures) or open swimming in the sea and lakes of North Wales. Gardening!!
I’ve spent the last 10 years mostly paddling, but recently quite a bit of time on my mountain bike…initially to improve my paddling…but enjoyed it a little too much. Getting back into the hills is a current priority and I’ve started climbing with enthusiasm again. Now I have the tough decision of which activity I shall spend my free-time doing…..sometimes it’s a struggle!!
With a background in Engineering and Quality Control I have enjoyed transferring certain aspects to the outdoor environment. With a wide learning profile in the outdoors over recent years, I am enjoying the varied and rewarding work of spending my time with young people.
Currently I’m very fortunate to be working for a number of outdoor centres, schools and private organisations providing activity sessions.
Can’t stop learning!!
– Mountain Training – Mountain Leader Award Summer
– Mountain Training – Single Pitch Award
– REC Mountain First Aid
– BCU Level 4 Sea Kayak Coach (Aspirant Level 5)
– BCU Level 3 Coach Canoe
– BCU Level 3 Coach Inland Kayak
– BCU CNTP Provider
– BCU FSRT Provider
– BSUPA Level 1 Instructor
– MBLA Trail Cycle Leader Training completed
– LCMLA Mine & Cave Leader
– Approved BCU/UKCC Coach Educator
– Approved Mountain Training Tutor (Hill & Mountain Skills)
– Minibus and trailer driving experience. Driving licence D1(E) & Midas
– Completed BMC Fundamentals Module 1 & 2