Mountain Water Expeditions are a course provider for Bronze and Silver National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) courses. These days give you an opportunity to review your current navigational knowledge and identify skills you would like to improve upon to safely and successfully navigate through the summer mountain environment and operate independently and confidently.
Mountain Water Expeditions can tailor courses to your specific needs but will cover essential principles as follows
– Devise a strategy for a navigational stage, to break it down into ‘coarse’ and ‘fine’ navigation and to use clear features en route to check that they are ‘on course’
– Understand and apply the following components of a navigational strategy ‘aiming off’, ‘attack points’, ‘collecting features’, simplifying navigation, and apply them in varying terrain
– Demonstrate an understanding of contour features, both large and small, on the map and on the ground
– Demonstrate an understanding of the navigation physical and factors affecting route choice
– Judge distance accurately on the map and on the ground
– Plan a safe walk or route involving Silver award skills and strategies
– Employ simple relocation strategies when lost
– Use a compass to follow accurate bearings and to check the direction of footpaths or other linear features on both map and ground
– Demonstrate knowledge of the effects of fatigue and physical discomfort brought on by navigating in demanding countryside and/or extreme weather condition. Knowledge of basic first aid is also expected
– Demonstrate knowledge and application of the Countryside Code and current access legislation as for the Bronze level together with an appreciation of basic environmental factors in mixing ‘man with nature’ (e.g. footpath erosion and methods of dealing with it), and responsibilities towards other countryside interests like farming, forestry and conservation
No previous independent walking experience is necessary for these days, but we can focus on specific skills suited to your current aspirations of building confidence to walk independently and learning to navigate.
These days fulfils requirements for the National Navigational Award Scheme (NNAS) and can offer Awards at Bronze and Silver Level (previous experience is required for the Silver NNAS Award).
From £140 per person (minimum booking of 2 people)
For the above minimum numbers / costs, we will run an event on a date of your choice.