British Canoeing – Leadership Awards
British Canoeing – Canoe Leader Assessment – Canoe Open Water or Canoe White Water
Would you like the confidence to lead a group of friends or peers on an open canoe adventure?
From January 2021 the new Canoe Leader award will be split into two different areas:
Canoe Leader Open Water
• British Canoeing Canoe Open Water Leader qualification is appropriate for leading others on journeys in large areas of open water that exceed the sheltered water definition, where the paddlers are no more than 500 metres off shore and in wind strengths that do not exceed Beaufort force 4.
Canoe Leader White Water
• British Canoeing Canoe White Water Leader qualification is appropriate for leading others on journeys on grade 2(3) white water or equivalent weirs.
The Canoe Leader Award has many aspects to it. With its combination of open water and moderate white water, the Lake District, Northern Dales or North Wales are the perfect places to complete your assessment. The ability to paddle lakes and rivers on the same day makes Cumbria or Wales the ideal venue.
At Mountain Water Expeditions we understand that assessments can be very stressful and work extremely hard to make them as relaxed as possible.
On our assessment we create the opportunity for you to demonstrate your leadership skills in all the appropriate environments.
We know that candidates enjoy the assessment more when we bring real students for them to lead. We will bring students on both the open water and river sections of the course. This makes the whole course more relaxed. There is no need to pretend for scenarios and definitely no tricks or set ups.
All you have to do is take a few people paddling and look after them. We will make sure that they are at the right level for the environment and are happy to go paddling.
One day of assessment that follows the British Canoeing Canoe Leader assessment syllabus for your chosen discipline.
- Home Nation British Canoeing Canoe Leadership Registration (LR)
- Valid (within 3 years) British Canoeing recognised two day first aid award
- Previous logbook experience for your chosen discipline
- British Canoeing White Water Safety and Rescue Training Course (or Rescue 3 Whitewater Rescue Technician) for the Canoe Leader White Water
Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the time of assessment. Candidates under the age of 18 can take the award, but cannot be deemed responsible for leadership by law until they turn 18.
This course is non-residential.
T.B.C normally somewhere within North Wales or Northern Lakes / Dales.
|Canoe Leader Assessment Date[s] Open Water||Course/Activity||Location||Price||Book Now|
|Bespoke dates to suit candidates (Minimum of 2 candidates required for the assessment to run)||Canoe Leader Assessment Open Water||North Wales||£200 per/person|
|Canoe Leader Assessment Date[s] White Water||Course/Activity||Location||Price||Book Now|
|Bespoke dates to suit candidates (Minimum of 2 candidates required for the assessment to run)||Canoe Leader Assessment White Water||North Wales||£200 per/person|
What we include
The price of the course includes;
- Coaching and guiding from experienced and helpful coaches
- A single point of contact at Mountain Water Expeditions to provide you with consistent support throughout your experience.
- Pre course information pack with lots of helpful advice, kit lists etc
- Opportunity to try out a selection of Freebird paddles
What we do not include
- Transport to and from the starting point
- Personal kit and accident insurance
- Items of personal canoeing kit for example waterproof clothing, drysuits, wetsuit boots etc
- Food or drink
- Canoe (There is an option to hire an expedition standard canoe at £20 per day)
For further information or to book a place on this British Canoeing Canoe Leader Assessment course please email email@example.com