For many of you the final section you need to finish off the long process to achieve your Gold Award may be that additional residential section.
If that is the case, or you just want it out of the way, then why not join us for our five-day Gold DofE Residential up in the Highlands of Scotland. We will be travelling across Scotland in sea kayaks. Over the five days we will use the Great Glen lock side campsites and some of the wilder traveller’s rest areas.
The Great Glen Coast to Coast sea kayak expedition takes in short sections of the Caledonian Canal to link Loch Lochy, Loch Oich and Loch Ness. This expedition will see you paddling from the west coast to the east coast of Scotland navigating these magnificent waterways.
Over the course of this trip you may have to contend with big waves, mirror calm waters and some exhilarating sailing, such is the nature of the ever-changing Great Glen.
During this DofE Gold Residential, expert coaching will be provided to help develop your sea kayak paddling skills. Depending on wind conditions, we may also be able to sail the sea kayaks.
We aim to finish the expedition in Inverness, again dependent on weather conditions, with a transfer back to Corpach if required. On the final day we will get off the water at approximately 2pm and be back in Corpach by 5pm.
Five days paddling from Corpach to Inverness (Please note this trip is very wind and weather dependent – please email or see below for a more detailed itinerary).
Camping by the lock side – four nights. There will be toilet and warm showering facilities available on most nights.
This expedition is suitable for those with little kayaking experience as well as experienced paddlers who prefer a guided trip. Please note that there will be some portaging round the locks on canal sections.
We will meet at Corpach lock on the first morning of the Gold Residential where there is ample car parking.
The price of the trip includes: all sea kayaking /camping equipment (excluding sleeping bag and camping mat), coaching and guiding, Great Glen fees, all expedition type food and shuttle cost back to Corpach Locks if needed.
What we include
- A single point of contact at Mountain Water Expeditions to provide you with consistent support throughout your residential experience.
- Pre-residential information pack with lots of helpful advice, kit lists etc
- Camping fees for the residential
- Use of group kit (free of charge – see below)
- Supervision from experienced and helpful instructors
- Waterproof Rucksack / Barrel (if needed)
- Rucksack liners (if needed)
- All relevant canoeing and safety equipment
- All relevant food on the kayak crossing
- Residential report to upload to your eDofE profile
- Certificate & Photography to remember the residential experience in years to come
We provide the following essential group kit free of charge:
- Stoves, pans and fuel
What we do not include
- Transport to and from the residential starting point
- Personal kit and accident insurance
- Items of personal expedition kit that are not mentioned above for example sleeping bags, sleeping mats, waterproof clothing, wetsuit boots etc
Mountain Water Expeditions is a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Approved Activity Provider (AAP) for the residential section of the gold award.
For further information or to book a place on this gold DofE residential please email email@example.com