Mountain Training – Leadership Awards
Mountain Training – Lowland Leader Assessment
Mountain Water Expeditions can provide the assessment course for the Mountain Training Lowland Leader Award.
This award scheme has been designed for people who wish to lead groups on day walks in lowland countryside and woodland in summer conditions. The scope and accessibility for this scheme makes it very achievable and appropriate for Duke of Edinburgh leaders and volunteer staff.
It is a nationally recognised award scheme that opens up a natural pathway to other awards and qualifications for leading and working with others in the outdoors.
Before you book your assessment place with us, you need to fulfil the following cirteria;
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must have attended a Lowland Leader training course (or have been granted “Exemption from training” exemption) Click for more info
- You must be familiar with the syllabus
- You must have logged a minimum of 20 walks in lowland countryside in different types of terrain (woodland, coastal, farmland etc)
- You must have physically attended and completed (i.e. not online) a first aid course which involved at least two full days or sixteen hours of instruction and included an element of assessment
This is a 2 day (16 hour) course designed to assess you against the syllabus competencies, however will be run in a relaxed style to help you perform and achieve – so please do not stress about it. Our course assessors will make you feel at ease throughout the whole process, which in turn will allow you to perform at your best.
Course Assessment Contents:
- Leadership skills and group management
- Walking skills
- Planning a walk
- Basic map and route -finding skills
- Hazards and emergency procedures
- Environmental awareness, conservation, access and land ownership
This course is non-residential.
Precise meet locations will be sent to you upon booking, usually our courses run from either near Mold, North East Wales or Rivington on the West Pennines Moors near Bolton.
Rivington, West Pennine Moors based courses:
– Rivington Hall Barn, Rivington.
Clwydian Range based courses:
– Tesco Superstore, Mold Town Centre.
Working minimum is four course participants to run this course.
We are also happy to run bespoke courses for groups at an agreed location & time. Please contact us to discuss your group needs further.
Other dates are available on request for group bookings please email to discuss your needs.
What we include in our course:
The price of the course includes;
- Coaching and guiding from experienced and helpful coaches
- A single point of contact at Mountain Water Expeditions to provide you with consistent support throughout your experience.
- Pre course information pack with lots of helpful advice, kit lists etc
What we do not include
- Transport to and from the starting point
- Personal kit and accident insurance
- Items of personal walking kit
- Any fees payable to Mountain Training for the award
- Food or drink
For further information or to book a place on this Mountain Training Lowland Leader assessment course please email firstname.lastname@example.org