British Canoeing – White Water Safety & Rescue
The Mountain Water Expeditions canoe coach team is made up of active white-water paddlers who coach regularly and are used to operating in the most advanced white-water conditions. We practice what we preach and teach what we do. Who better to get the most up to date rescue knowledge from?
All our coaches are qualified in both canoe and kayak so can help you with whatever craft you paddle.
As paddlers we constantly make decisions that are based on our personal skills, the environment we are paddling in and keeping safe. We manage risk, so we can enjoy our sport. Every decision we make has plus and minus consequences. What should I carry in my safety kit? How heavy/light should my boat be? These and many other questions are the ones we ask ourselves as we head out on the river. So if you want to develop some answers based on fact and experience why not join one of our British Canoeing white water safety and rescue courses, you will spend dedicated time learning and practicing rescue skills which will lead you to become a more confident paddler and effective river team member.
Some of the topics covered on the course include:
- Advantages and disadvantages of different safety equipment
- White water swimming
- Bank and boat based rescue of swimmers and equipment
- Safe and appropriate use of throwlines
- Safe strategies to help trapped swimmers
- Evaluation of stoppers and getting equipment or swimmers out of them
- Features of chest harnesses and use of live bait techniques
- Using mechanical advantage to retrieve equipment
- Wading strategies
- Safe group paddling strategies
We believe that this course is all about white water paddling so we spend both days paddling boats so that we make sure you get real answers that will work on your next river trip.
We will bring a range of safety equipment and white water canoes so that we can make sure you get the chance to try out different types of rescue equipment and play in some different crafts.
This course is non-residential.
This course is suitable for paddlers with some canoeing experience on grade two moving water as well as more experienced paddlers.
T.B.C normally somewhere within North Wales or the Lake District.
|WWS&R Date[s]||Course/Activity||Location||Price||Book Now|
|Sat 30th & Sun 31st Oct 2021||British Canoeing White Water Safety & Rescue (WWS&R)||North Wales||£160|
What we include
The price of the course includes;
- Coaching from experienced and helpful coaches
- A single point of contact at Mountain Water Expeditions to provide you with consistent support throughout your experience.
- Pre course information pack with lots of helpful advice, kit lists etc
What we do not include
- Transport to and from the starting point
- Personal kit and accident insurance
- Items of personal canoeing kit for example buoyancy aid, helmet, wetsuit, drysuits, wetsuit boots etc
- Food or drink
Alan Pinnington or Ray Goodwin MBE
For further information or to book a place on this British Canoeing White Water Safety & Rescue course please email email@example.com