British Canoeing – Coach Education
British Canoeing – Canoe Coach (Sheltered Water) Assessment
The British Canoeing Coach Award offers discipline specific pathways across all disciplines and introduces the skills and coaching behaviours required for developing performance through progressive coaching.
The Coach Awards are designed for people whose core function is to coach paddlers who want to gain/improve paddle sport skills within the discipline chosen.
This will include coaching beginners new to the sport, or paddlers looking to develop their skills in the given discipline/environment.
- Coach Award Core Coach Training
- Coach Award Discipline Specific Training
- Coach Award e-learning module
Evidence of minimum standards of deployment:
- In date first aid training
- Safeguarding training (as required by your home nation association)
- Full home nation association membership
- Aged 16 or over at the time of assessment
Once all prerequisites are in place, you can complete the assessment check-in process with British Canoeing and attend one of our Canoe Coach Sheltered Water assessments
Our Sheltered Water Canoe Discipline Specific assessment focuses on assessing how you coach the discipline specific skills.
This assessment will have a focus on looking at you coach technical and tactical skills in your chosen discipline. When you leave the assessment, you will be able to plan and deliver safe, enjoyable, progressive coaching sessions and explore specifics to help you coach some typical athletes/learners relevant to you/your discipline.
The assessment course syllabus is based on assessing your knowledge, understanding and skills that you as a coach will need to ensure the athletes/learners in your care are appropriately provided for.
This will include;
- assessing athlete/learner performance and needs
- designing and delivering progressive practice/training sessions to meet these needs
- managing safety
- creating an enjoyable, motivating learning environment
- skills to support your own personal learning and professional development
This Sheltered Water Canoe Discipline Specific assessment is a mostly practical one-day course, broken down into the following elements;
- Assessment discussion task
- Practical coaching
- Rescue skills
- Personal skills
- Background knowledge, understanding and experience
This course is non-residential.
T.B.C normally somewhere within North West of England, North Wales or the Lake District.
If you want to participate in one of our British Canoeing Sheltered Water Assessment courses and your dates don’t fit ours, please contact us for alternatives as we can accommodate other dates which suit your requirement.
What we include
The price of the course includes;
- Assessment from experienced and helpful coaches
- A single point of contact at Mountain Water Expeditions to provide you with consistent support throughout your experience.
- Pre course information pack with lots of helpful advice, kit lists etc
What we do not include
- Transport to and from the starting point
- Personal kit and accident insurance
- Items of personal canoeing and kayaking kit
- Any fees payable to British Canoeing for any award obtained other than providers fees
- Food or drink
Alan Pinnington or Lizzie Harrington
For further information or to book a place on this British Canoeing Sheltered Water Canoe assessment course please email email@example.com