Mountain Training – Leadership Awards
Mountain Training – Lowland Leader Training
Mountain Water Expeditions can provide training and assessment courses for the Mountain Training Lowland Leader Award.
This award scheme has been designed for people who wish to lead groups on day walks in lowland countryside and woodland in summer conditions. The scope and accessibility for this scheme makes it very achievable and appropriate for Duke of Edinburgh leaders and volunteer staff.
It is a nationally recognised award scheme that opens up a natural pathway to other awards and qualifications for leading and working with others in the outdoors.
I recently completed Lowland Leader Training with Mountain Water Expeditions. A complete novice, I immediately felt at ease with the encouraging, positive and professional staff. So many new skills packed into a fabulous couple of days on the West Pennine Moors. An experience that went above and beyond the course syllabus with lots of advice and added extras on nature and local history. Met the needs of the whole group. Can’t wait to come back for assessment.Lynsay Evans – Higher Level Teaching Assistant
To get started on the Lowland Leader qualification you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- You must be at least 17 years old
- You should have an interest in leading groups in lowland countryside
If the above applies to you, here’s what to do next:
Create an account on the Mountain Training Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one on the Mountain Training website.
Register for the Lowland Leader scheme (this costs £47 – payable to Mountain Training)
Email Mountain Water Expeditions who will then draw you onto the course date you require.
Before the course starting date for your Lowland Leader training course, make sure you have recorded a minimum of 10 varied walks in lowland terrain where the use of a map is required (ideally these will be recorded on DLOG) which can have taken place at any point (pre- or post-registration)
We offer two days (16 hour) training course, inclusive of time out practically with your group as well as some inside sessions to discuss further topics. Precise meet locations will be sent to you upon booking, usually our courses run from either near Mold, North East Wales or Rivington on the West Pennines Moors near Bolton.
- Leadership skills and group management
- Walking skills
- Planning a walk
- Basic map and route-finding skills
- Hazards and emergency procedures
- Environmental awareness, conservation, access and land ownership
This course is non-residential.
Rivington, West Pennine Moors based courses:
– Rivington Hall Barn, Rivington.
Clwydian Range based courses:
– Tesco Superstore, Mold Town Centre.
Working minimum is four course participants to run this course.
We are also happy to run bespoke courses for groups at an agreed location & time. Please contact us to discuss your group needs further.
Other dates are available on request for group bookings please email to discuss your needs.
What we include in our course:
The price of the course includes;
- Coaching and guiding from experienced and helpful coaches
- A single point of contact at Mountain Water Expeditions to provide you with consistent support throughout your experience.
- Pre course information pack with lots of helpful advice, kit lists etc
- The use of a compass for the duration of the course
What we do not include
- Transport to and from the starting point
- Personal kit and accident insurance
- Items of personal walking kit
- Any fees payable to Mountain Training for the award
- Food or drink
For further information or to book a place on this Mountain Training Lowland Leader training course please email email@example.com