Level 3 Immediate Management of Anaphylaxis
An Anaphylactic shock, or anaphylaxis, is a life-threatening, serious allergic reaction to an allergen such as food substances or insect stings. If it is not treated appropriately, it may cause death. This training is for qualified First Aiders and Emergency First Aiders to enable them to recognise and treat anaphylaxis safely and effectively.
When administering a medication, it is important to recognise and differentiate between allergic reactions and the potentially life-threatening anaphylactic reactions immediately. It is also essential to determine whether the individual has had an allergic or anaphylactic response to the medication in the past or prior to administration.
This course is suitable for all First Aiders and healthcare professionals, as well as those in a high risk environment where such medication is available.
The course is made up of practical and theoretical sessions delivered by your Instructor who will provide a detailed course programme.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to
– Describe anaphylaxis
– Identify triggers for anaphylaxis
Describe life threatening problems associated with the
– Disability (Neurological status)
– Exposure (Skin and mucosal changes)
– Explain the need for an early call for help
Explain the treatment for anaphylaxis
– Non re-breather mask
– Removal of trigger
– Identify key features of adrenaline-auto injectors
– Conduct an initial assessment using the ABCDE approach
– Demonstrate a recovery position
– Demonstrate resuscitation for adult and/or child
– Recognise the need to use an auto-injector
– Prepare medication for administration during anaphylaxis treatment
– Demonstrate the safe use of an adrenaline auto-injector using a training device
– Safely dispose of sharps according to agreed ways of working
– Handover the casualty to a medical professional