British Canoeing – Sea Kayak Coach Assessment
British Canoeing – Coach Education
The new British Canoeing Coach Award offers discipline specific pathways across all disciplines and introduces the skills and coaching behaviours required for developing performance through progressive coaching.
The Coach Awards are designed for people whose core function is to coach paddlers who want to gain/improve paddle sport skills within the discipline chosen.
This will include coaching beginners new to the sport, or paddlers looking to develop their skills in the given discipline/environment.
You will leave this assessment course able to plan, deliver and review progressive sessions safely, effectively and independently giving you a firm footing, building you towards a successful assessment.
There are 18 options available covering all of the main disciplines and environments in paddle sport.
– Canoe Coach [sheltered Water]
– Kayak Coach [sheltered Water]
– Canoe and Kayak Coach [sheltered Water]
– Freestyle Coach
– Open Water Canoe Coach
– Open Water Canoe Coach [sheltered Water]
– Polo Coach
– Racing Coach
– Sea Kayak Coach
– Sea Kayak Coach [Advanced Water]
– Slalom Coach
– Surf Kayak Coach
– Surf kayak Coach [Advanced Water]
– White Water Canoe Coach
– White Water Canoe Coach [Advanced Water]
– White Water Kayak Coach
– White Water Kayak Coach [Advanced Water]
– Wild Water Racing Coach
– Coach Award Core Coach Training
– Coach award discipline specific training
– Relevant leadership award for some disciplines
– Coach award e-learning module
Evidence of minimum standards of deployment
– In date first aid training
– Safeguarding training (as required by your home nation association)
– Full home nation association membership
– Aged 16 or over at the time of assessment (18 for Advanced Water Options)
Once all prerequisites are in place, you can complete the assessment check-in process with British Canoeing and attend one of our assessments.
Our Sea Kayak Discipline Specific Assessment focuses on assessing how you coach the discipline specific skills.
This assessment will have a focus on looking at you coach technical and tactical skills in your chosen discipline. When you leave the assessment, you will be able to plan and deliver safe, enjoyable, progressive coaching sessions and explore specifics to help coaches coach some typical athletes/learners relevant to you/your discipline.
The assessment course syllabus is based on assessing your knowledge, understanding and skills that you as a coach will need to ensure the athletes/learners in your care are appropriately provided for.
This will include
– assessing athlete/learner performance and needs
– designing and delivering progressive practice/training sessions to meet these needs
– managing safety
– creating an enjoyable, motivating learning environment
– skills to support your own personal learning and professional development
This Sea Kayak Discipline Specific assessment is a mostly practical one-day course, briefly broken down into the following elements
– Assessment discussion task
– Practical coaching
– Rescue skills
– Personal skills
– Background knowledge, understanding and experience
If you have any questions or require more information on our Course costs and available dates, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org